I came to a realization today. There are several things that make me happy/healthy/relaxed/joyful/refreshed/, but I don't do them nearly as often as I could or should. They consist of physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional activities.
- Praying. What is better than time spent talking with God?
- Sleeping longer than six hours.
- Reading my Bible. No matter how many times I read it, there is always more to learn from its wisdom.
- Keeping my mouth shut so I can listen more.
- Going on walks in nature.
- Listening to classical music.
- Hanging out with my family because they are awesome.
- Meditation. Relaxation techniques are helpful before performances, during stressful times, or to enhance focus.
- Drinking a lot of water. I think I'm dehydrated most of the time, because when I drink around six glasses a day, I feel better all over.
- Singing. Except not in front of people. Too shy.
- Composing music.
These are all great ways to recharge my life battery. They are refreshing. So why don't I do them more often if they have such positive benefits? Well, I'm lazy, for one. Busy-ness takes its toll also. One of the main things, though, is that I waste my time on things that don't matter or are even negative influences in my life.
What is a waste of time?
- Surfing around Facebook.
- Watching t.v. while staring blankly at the screen (I don't mind being in the room with the t.v. on if other people are watching something they like, as long as I can be doing something else like practicing guitar, knitting, cooking, etc.)
- Sitting indoors on a perfectly beautiful sunny day.
- Worrying about anything.
- Telling myself that my life is full of troubles.
- Listening to crappy music on the radio in the car.
- Reading books that I don't like simply because someone told me I should read them.
Here's a directive to myself: DO MORE OF THE THINGS THAT ARE GOOD FOR YOU AND LESS OF THE THINGS THAT ARE BAD FOR YOU. Please? Thanks.
So what gives you a feeling of renewed life?